Dreams, Visions and Contemplations

Sharing what I have seen with both my inner eyes and my outer eyes.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Déja Vu

Contemplation

Journal Entry: April 2, 2000

If dreams are messages from the soul then déja vu’s with their dreamlike quality must also come from the soul. I noticed after a few years of experiencing déja vu’s that they always seem to occur during a trivial activity. I sit quietly with a friend and suddenly I see the events to come unfold before me. She is about to toss her pop can to the garbage pail but I know she will miss, I don’t have time to warn her however, and just as the can hits the pail, we say in unison, “That was a déja vu.” The experience fresh in our minds we discuss it and notice, once again, how trivial – “warning, the can will hit the pail.” We wonder why déja vu’s don’t occur to warn you just seconds before the tree falls on your head.

As I was walking home from work tonight wearing my headphones, to shut out the noise, I experienced extraordinary moments. A series of moments linked together yet not by time or space, it was just a sequence of events. As Beethoven played on my walkman, the music rising into an allegro in time with a breeze lifting my hair, the chain of events unfolded. I saw the ultimate beauty and vastness of the sky, at once the wind was caressing my face and Beethoven’s allegro was rising in tempo and I felt myself lifted! It was as though in that moment a door had been opened and heaven had been revealed to me.

Still very much at peace from the experience I noticed that the road ahead seemed welcoming and the road I had just travelled was throwing me a farewell party and all of this was quite comforting. Suddenly I was transported to a time in my childhood when I just wanted to walk away, and then I found myself feeling like I was walking with all the suffering children who at any point in time (including the present) just wanted to walk away. There we were just walking, peacefully, not worried of what lay behind and not fearful of what was ahead – just enjoying the breeze, the clouds, Beethoven and being centered in heaven.

If walking down a mundane road could have such an impact upon me then the apparently trivial déja vu must be a potential glimpse of heaven. The fact that I merely saw “the can hit the pail,” then was a reflection of the state of my sight.

Further down the road this following thought occurred to me. Who, as a child travelling at night, has not asked his or her parents, “Why does the moon follow me?” The most common reply being, “It just looks that way because the moon is so far away.” As I was walking home I realized that the clouds seemed to move ahead of me. I allowed myself to believe that the clouds were actually clearing a path and that the moon was indeed following me. And it was so. Instead of just appearing that way because of their great distance they actually followed me because of my short distance. They are the backdrop, the screen, on which I play my life. They are directly connected to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home